Thursday, April 5, 2012

Honda Accord: Transmission problem

My 2nd week with my power of dreams, everything is working great except the transmission is giving problem.

The Symptoms before ATF change:
  1. Shifting N to D, N to R takes longer time to engage into gear, more than 3 seconds
  2. Shifting from 1 to 2 slow. it gives a hard shift when I rev on the engine.
  3. No burn smell in the ATF - no sign of burn clutch pad though. (this is an important factor to determine if it is an external or internal gearbox problem)
The Symptoms after ATF change:
  1.  N to R gear engage normally.
  2.  N to D gear still get 2 seconds delay during cold start. It is norm after the warm up.
  3. Shifting from 1 to 2 is smooth when I rev the car below 3k
  4. Shifting from 1 to 2 is hard when I rev the car over 3k
  5. No burn smell in ATF

Possible Causes:
1. Vehicle Speed sensor - written off
2. Transmission Solenoid - written off

3. Worn clutch pad - can't write off entirely - no burn smell from ATF though
4. Dirty ATF - abuse from the previous owner with delay ATF change

The fix:
1.Change 3.5 liter of ATF

The cost:
1. 3.5 liter of Honda ATF Z1 - MYR84 (MYR24 per liter)
2. labor charge - MYR15

7 comments:

  1. Since my first ATF change, the transmission has improved. Shifting from N to D and N to R no longer have delay. However, the bad shift from gear 1 to 2 persist but it has some improvement, not as hard as last time. Will perform another round of AFT change soon.

    1 thing I do notice, during cold start, N to D shift has a 3 seconds delay. After that, it will be like normal again. This is very consistent, only from N to D during cold start. N to R has no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 months after ATF change, Gear shift from 1 to 2 didn't get better nor worse.

    However, during cold start, N to D delay is getting worse. Sometimes it took more than 10 seconds to engage D. What I notice was if I have stop and leave it for more than 24 hours or more, chances of getting this problem is higher. If it is less than 12 hrs, it would shift nicely.

    I reckon there are sludge and metal particles trap in my gearbox. When the car stops for many hours, these dirt clog the gearbox hence the gearbox shift got delayed.

    I am planning another round of ATF chance soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done my ATF change last weekend. Used about 3.5L of Honda AFT Z1. Got it for RM25 per bottle this time from Hingan Auto Parts Sdn Bhd, Jalan Sungai Besi (slightly more expensive than PJ Master).

    As a result, the gear change is now a lot smoother and the condition improve by days. Today is Day 4 after the change, the hard shift from gear 1 to 2 problem is almost gone. It is not 100% but i would say 80% of the time, i am getting smooth change in gear 1 to 2.

    I am glad I didn't overhaul the gearbox as per my mechanic's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update: my transmission was indeed problematic. I have a burnt clutch and I have it running for over 2 years. I got it overhauled (2k MYR) in JKS Auto. I will write a proper entry to explain the details soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eagerly waiting for your update bro, as im thinking of getting a s86 this month. Ty

    ReplyDelete